Belding Opera House

Address:
City: Belding
State: MI
Zip:
County: Ionia
Open: 1889
Capacity:
Owner History:
Number of visits to this page: 104
Notes:

In 1889, the Belding Opera House was built in conjunction with Hotel Belding. It held 650 people and had the latest steam heat and electric lights. It occupied the second floor above the business block built west of the hotel. The opera house provided entertainment for hotel guests as well as local residents, and also served as a performance hall for community groups and schools. [Hughes, Cindy M.. Belding (Images of America) (p. 81). Arcadia Publishing Inc.]

Indications are that the original Opera House as constructed in 1888 was a rectangle 77' long and h5' wide.These dimensions were calculated in the Opera House itself and then checked against measurements taken in the commercial stores below the Opera House. The width was calculated by measuring in the auditorium from side wall to side wall above the chair rail, 9 distance of h3'3", and adding to this distance 1'0" for the structural west wall and 9" for the inside wall adjoining the hotel. The stores below substantiate this calculation: there are two rooms of 20'“" each in width with on 18" brick and wood paneled wall dividing them. This allows 2'10" for the two sidewalls and their paneling. [A History of the Belding Opera House by Jack Wilson]

Info Updates:
No Updates Found
 Photos:5
Belding Opera House - FROM JACK WILSON
FROM JACK WILSON
Belding Opera House - FROM BELDING IMAGES OF AMERICA
FROM BELDING IMAGES OF AMERICA
Belding Opera House - THE OLD MAIN STREET IN BELDING
THE OLD MAIN STREET IN BELDING
Belding Opera House - 06 OCT 1920 - COPY
06 OCT 1920 - COPY
Belding Opera House - 17 DEC 1919 BELDING BANNER
17 DEC 1919 BELDING BANNER
WaterWinterWonderland.com © 2021 Over 49,501,201 Served