Located on E. Front Street in downtown Traverse City, the Lyric Theatre was founded and built by Julius H. Steinberg in 1916. It was rebuilt in 1923 after a fire. It showed the first talking movie seen in Northern Michigan in 1929. The Lyric Theatre was destroyed by fire on January 3, 1948. It was rebuilt in 1949 in an Art Deco style and opened as the State Theatre.